Archive

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Identity.

I'm in a transition right now that should have come years ago. Recording after recording after recording of technical errors that I shouldn't be making anymore. I feel like I am starting to come closer to the point of cleaning my voice up and making it sound the way it needs to.

This is a process that I will always be working to improve. It's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I am at the point where it could be easy to give up but I know that I will never forgive myself if I don't attain my goals or at the least die trying.

Tomorrow I will see Myles Kennedy sing with Slash. Myles is one of my biggest influences. He is also the reason I got into Jeff Buckley and Chris Whitley. (Another favorite singer)

Myles has such a passionate, powerful voice. He is able to hit high notes in such a thin, easy manner. He has an incredible level of attitude and has such an incredible dynamic freedom.

I'm at the point of my life where things need to start happening.

I look to my hero's for inspiration. I think of how they all have/had defining characteristics to their voice's that made them unique and recognizable. They found their own voice.

Sometimes I wonder what my voice is. I know my speaking voice, but as far as a singer I feel like I haven't defined myself remotely. My voice teacher always put it that each singer takes the singers who he/she is inspired by and makes their voices part of their own. It makes it hard that my biggest inspirations are considered to be legendary.

I don't know the size of fame that I will attain from music. I'm not sure how many people will listen to it but the few things I do know is that I want to make the kind of music I want to make.

I don't want to give up my integrity to please others. That having been said, I want to make people feel the way I feel when I listen to the artists who inspire me.

If there is a possible way for me to do this, I want to do it. I don't care if I am a natural baritone, I want the notes and the freedom of a tenor. I want to have full control over my voice. The more I learn about singing the more I realize there are countless ways to hit a single note. There are so many small movements within your body that can alter the sound.

There are so many aspects of each technique. Vibrato and making it actually usable. Trills. How much of your voice to mix in chest or head voice.

I've learned a lot in the past 3 years of seriously singing. I have a very very long ways ahead but am hopeful that in studying other singers, applying all of the technique I've learned and continuing to learn I will someday find a feeling of being content, if only for a small moment at a time.

Without passion there is no purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment