Archive

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Mount Wire Hike (6-5-2014)

In continuation of my quest to see Salt Lake from every perspective, my buddy Joel and I went on a hike to Mount Wire.

This hike was known for the old beacons that were used to send phone signals from Salt Lake to Park City. I couldn't spot them today but had faith that in studying how to get up there on Google Earth, we would get to them.


I didn't realize until after we got to the top of the mountain and talked to some strangers that they were torn down last year. I was disappointed to see this since they were a great landmark and helped know which mountain it was.


I didn't see any trace of them, but when I got home I found an article with this picture.
Fortunately they still have an old airplane tower which hasn't been used for a number of years. That was cool to check out, and the views turned out really nice, giving a direct east view of the skyline as well as other mountains.


Mount Wire is about two mountains away from 'The Living Room', another hike in the area.  The route we decided to go back with was one that would meet up with the trail for that hike.  After loosing the paths a few times we were able to finally make our way to the Living Room after feeling the way around.  All in all, it ended up a big hike but we sort of knocked two hikes out, so that was nice.


It was dark by the time we reached the Living Room, but here is a picture I go online to give the idea of what it looks like once you get there.
















No comments:

Post a Comment